Pages

30 Jun 2010

Inspiration

I have to admit that i'm not asked often but when I am occasionally asked what inspires me, it's quite long winded.

I could say all the usual things like music, films, other peoples work, personal feelings and blahblahblah and although to an extent they definitely influence the actual shoot, my motive to be a photographer comes from a completely different place.


I've met a lot of people over the last few years since somehow finding myself walking down this career path that have become really good friends but have personal issues. Obviously everyone has personal problems to an extent, but I somehow attract friends that have really been through shit.
A lot of my shoots are based around the people I know and human mentality and i've probably always believed that I can help people through my work. A lot of the horse shoots I do, because they're with ordinary girls, it's just the ability to make them feel good about themselves for once even if it's just for a few hours and then recorded in a few photos.

Portfolio works tend to be shot after long conversations about self harm, eating disorders, social/panic disorders, depression etc that draw on the strength that I see in my friends, because honestly I think they're amazing as some of the kindest and most selfless people I know even when dealing with such crap.

Whilst I strive to get a beautiful photo for my personal benefit, it's never been about me or whether i'm successful or not, if I can change atleast one persons opinion of themselves then i'm achieving and succeeding in my own mind.

No comments: