Pages

13 Aug 2011

Stud UK Euro


At the end of last month I paid a visit to Stud Uk Euro, top class horse breeders & suppliers, to take some photos of their young stock to be used on the website. This included their 3-4 year old stallions & geldings as well as getting to spend time with the mares and foals.

I find the toughest part about photographing horses in their field is mastering the art of getting them to leave you alone first! Their inquisitive nature to say hi and get right up in your personal space, although endearing at times, is far from helpful for getting shots of them when you're using a telephoto lens.

After I spent a good few hours in their field and double checked I had photos of everyone in there I decide to head back as I still had to pop and see the foals. In true annoying horse fashion, just as I decide to leave a couple of them start fighting and then gallop off down the field with the rest of the herd hot on their heels and whilst I did manage to get a couple photos of them rearing I was no where near close enough for an incredible shot. I hate horses.

2 hours and hundreds of shots of grazing.... they really do pick their moments to liven up. Sulky Lotte is sulky. So in my animal related grudge I head back to the yard to rendez vous with Katie, my very lovely stable guide for the day, to walk over to the field that has all the mares and foals in...oh...and one stallion. What a stud ;) Literally, that is his job so there's never been a more appropriate moment for the phrase.

The foals were all incredibly sweet, my favourites being the two you can see in the photo as both are very pretty and move beautifully. All were very sociable coming over to give Katie a sniff which I thought was very forgiving of them seen as moments before she'd just chased them around jingling my car keys to get them all to move for some action shots! Made some lovely photos though and in my mind it made up for the fact that I missed the boys playing around a couple hours earlier.

You can see a small selection of my photos on the Stud Uk Euro website where they have been used in the galleries of some of their stock www.studukeuro.com
I will also be publishing more images from my visit to my website and facebook page shortly.


No comments: